Re: LSR; scrapping input/test/

From: Sebastiano Vigna
Subject: Re: LSR; scrapping input/test/
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:16:25 +0100

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 14:35 -0800, Graham Percival wrote:

> In order to do this, we need to
> 1)  copy everything from input/test/ into LSR.  I could do that this
> week

I guess you want to put the texdoc file into the description part (maybe
marked up in HTML). The current prefix for non-standalone snippets is
the same as in the manual, that is,

#(set! toplevel-score-handler ly:parser-print-score)
#(set! toplevel-music-handler (lambda (p m)
                               (ly:parser-print-score
                                p (ly:music-scorify m p))))

\paper {
  #(define dump-extents #t)
  raggedright = ##t
  indent = 0\mm
}

\layout {}

Note that I don't know what this stuff does. I just copied it. Indeed,
in some cases (try to search for "fermata bar") the result does not come
out properly.

Presently I'm compilying with lilypond into tex, LaTeX'ing the result,
dvips-ing to PostScript, detecting the bounding box with ps2epsi and
converting to PNG. If anybody has a better system (I tried to understand
how you do it in the manual from the Makefiles, but I failed) *please
tell me*. I'm all ears.

The second problem that must be solved at the Lilypond level has to do
with safe mode. Apparently safe mode is presently "very safe", in fact
so safe that some reasonable scheme tricks do not work--probably not all
stuff in input/test will compile.

It would be very useful if we could have a safe-but-not-so-safe mode,
say where the only thing that can't be done is starting external
commands and read/write files, much like the default policy with Java
applets.

> 2)  include output from LSR in the Lilypond "make web" process.  I
> don't know whether that will be in the form of manual updates (like
> the convert-ly bugs from CVS getting copied into the manual) or some
> kind of automatic process.

I think it can be easily made automatic, in particular with a standalone
version of the LSR, which I'm trying to put together. In any case, since
everything is contained in a single dump of the database (including
PNGs), you probably do not even need the complete system. A few lines of
your favourite scripting language (as long as it can interact with
MySQL) will suffice...

--
Ciao,

                                        seba