Re: Translation glossary

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: Translation glossary
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:17:56 +0200

John Mandereau schrieb

It's an involved task; I wonder whether it's worth doing it, as there
are few translators.  Something that could be done in that direction is
formatting TRANSLATION in Texinfo or Wiki, to start a real "translators
guide".  IMHO it's not a priority, Lily translators could do many other
things; for example, helping users in their mother spaeaking language
though a list or forum, work on the docs in their language.  The latter
is interesting, but then interesting doc changes in other languages than
English should be translated back to English, which is not easy.  Any
thoughts on this?
Well, you are probably right, the team is so small at the moment that direct discussion and the TRANSLATION text file are sufficient. I don't know though about this "working on the docs in their language" -- since all translators speak sufficiently english to understand what they translate, they could as well produce some english phrases and send them to Graham who will correct them to standard English. Of course they can then also be applied at the same time to the translation of the translator's language.

Only last week I discovered that the glossary still evolves (of course it does, I checked the log, but I just wasn't aware of that), so I was thinking that couldn't we also make "localized" versions of that file. I don't mean to translate the english explanations (or then, why not?), but just to make it trackable with check-translation. So we would each have the glossary.tely in the localized language directory, with the git commit number filled in so check-translation will show changes to the original file.

And then while having a look at this document, there is quite clearly pointed out who translated what language. And I thought what if we put this note (subauthor?) into the translated docs as well? First, it make clear that it is a "derived work" and based on the english version, second, it gives some personalized note (which I am mostly missing eg. from wikibooks, and in my opinion, it makes them less reliable if there is nobody to take responsibility).

So far today

Greetings from dark winter Finland
Till

Cheers,