Re: Using texi2html for the documentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Using texi2html for the documentation
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:23:11 -0700

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:01:47 +0100
Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

> After all the month-long whining that no perl developer with ~10
> hours at hand could be found for using texi2html for the docs

Actually, I've been whining about this since Oct.  My position is,
I hope, clear.  I don't use lilypond any more, I'm leaving the
project, and yet I'm still doing 10-15 hours of work each week.
Here's a list of technical tasks which *I will not even attempt*.
Not because they're too hard for me; just because I have enough
other work to do:
http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/todo/technical-todo.txt

Please note that some of the URGENT items are as simple as filing
a bug report with lilypond.  For most readers of this list, this
will take about 10 minutes.

(this isn't directed at you, Reinhold -- thanks so much for taking
charge of this item! :)

> The current status of the conversion (which was aimed at looking like
> the old docs) can be found at:
>         http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out-traditional/
>
> Could you please have a look at it and tell me about things that
> should / need to be fixed before this can be used for the "official"
> docs creation.

Lists are destroyed.  Look at:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out-traditional/Writing-pitches.html#Relative-octave-entry

The third "paragraph" (the indented bit) should have a number of
bullet points.  Well, not /necessarly/ bullet points -- I'll leave
this up to you -- but it should be clear that it's a list of
points.

Some people might wonder about the "(music-glossary)double sharp"
links, but I actually prefer them this way -- it makes it clear
where it's going.  One tiny nitpick: could we have a space between
the ) and the next character?
- if this is difficult, forget about it; there's much more
  important things to fuss about.

> And then I played around a little with the flexibility that texi2html
> brings and my current results can be found at:
>         http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out/
> (Don't worry about the long toc on the left, I simply haven't yet
> found a way to show only two levels plus the full path to the current
> page).

I'm not certain we only want two levels... the ideal would be if
users could click to expand/contract each tree.  Perhaps two
levels would be good by default, but I'd like it if people could
expand them to see three or four levels.