Re: KeyboardStaff?

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: KeyboardStaff?
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 02:54:02 -0700

Hi Valentin,

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 11:37:43AM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:

> I think that GrandStaff and PianoStaff are exactly the same anyway:
> the only difference was that PianoStaff had fixed inter-staves space,
> which it hasn't anymore :
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-01/msg00293.html
>
> So, while we're renaming stuff and simplifying the syntax, I'd vote
> for deprecating and removing PianoStaff entirely. A very simple
> convert-ly rule may rename it into GrandStaff, and it will not change
> a thing.
>
> (such a change would have to be done *before* .12 rather than after, btw)

There is a difference, which is documented in 1.6.1.2 Grouping staves.
However this "difference" is not very logical and could very well be
changed (by adding Instrument_name_engraver to the rest of the
staff-group contexts).

So a simple convert-ly rule would be a little too simple.  ;-)

Cheers,
Patrick