Re: KeyboardStaff?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: KeyboardStaff?
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:25:07 +0200

2008/10/8 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Don't be silly.  This is just one more syntax change -- it's even
> covered by convert-ly!

You mean, this weird CLI-thingy 80% of our Windows users have never used? :-)

> If anything, having such an obvious breakage for 2.12 is a *good*
> thing, since it'll get people to run convert-ly (and read the
> NEWS) sooner rather than later.

I like your optimism (yeah, never thought I could say that some day) :)

> I agree with NEWS and mailing list, but not website, docs, and
> airplanes.

I do think we will have to temporary mention the obsolete PianoStaff
somewhere visible in the docs. David's proposal is certainly better
and seemingly non-intrusive, but we can't afford such a slow process
since a) very few people install *every* development version week by
week, and those who do are generally aware of major development
decisions, b) anyway sooner or later you have to make a radical move
and stop supporting the obsolete syntax, and at this point you can
hardly be sure that anyone isn't still using this syntax.

Note for myself: if we do mention it on the mailing list, we'll also
have to personally warn people in charge of local groups such as
Till's German forum, John's French ml, Hugo's Portuguese googlegroup,
Fransisco's students, etc.

Graham: No airplane? Really? :-p

Cheers,
Valentin