Re: improving NR B.6 "The Feta Font"

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: improving NR B.6 "The Feta Font"
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:33:56 -0600

On 7/10/09 8:25 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Neil Puttock wrote:
>> I like it.  Though it sacrifices a bit of maintainability, I
>> think it's worth it when it looks so good.
>>
>> One thing I don't like is the (begin ...) form though, especially
>> since there's no indentation for the helper functions inside.
>
> I would've been shocked had you not mentioned it.
>
>> Don't forget to include the petrucci and (neo)mensural glyphs. ;)
>
> Neil,
> you are the most thorough developer here. You find every last
> little mistake, even in the most complicated situations. It's
> great.
>
> Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> I like it a lot.
>>
>> Could the appendix be replaced with multiple snippets, each of
>> which includes the main .ly you've written and then prints out
>> only a piece of the list?
>>
>> That way, the headings would be in texinfo, instead of in
>> lilypond markup.
>
> Actually, I had that exact thought, but I couldn't figure out how
> to do that. Certainly this wouldn't be done through font-table.ly,
> right? It would have to be notation-appendices.itely, right? Could
> you point me in the right direction? Show an example of how I would
> make the first snippet?

I'm struggling with my stuff right now, so I don't want to jump into this
for real.

I would imagine that in notation-appendices.itely you'd have a series of
elements like:

@subsection Shaped Notes

@lilypond

\include font-table.ly
#(display-font-table 'shape-notes)

@end lilypond

@subsection Ancient Notes

@lilypond
\include font-table.ly
#(display-font-table 'ancient-notes)
@end lilypond

> Also, you guys don't mind that I got shape-note-noteheads the lazy
> way? And no objections to the helper functions? I was also unable
> to figure out how to simplify the repetitive markup stuff:
>
> \markup \group-heading #"clefs"
> \markuplines \override-lines #'(word-space . 4)
>              \doc-chars #clefs
>
> \markup \group-heading #"time signatures"
> \markuplines \override-lines #'(word-space . 4)
>              \doc-chars #timesig

> I was imagining some cool markup trick like this:
>
> \coolMarkupTrick
>   #`(("clefs"           . ,clefs)
>      ("time signatures" . ,timesig)
>      ("accidentals"     . ,accidentals)
>      ...)

I agree that the latter would be better, but I think it's so much better
to do texinfo, that it's not worth messing with.

Carl