Re: improving NR B.6 "The Feta Font"

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: improving NR B.6 "The Feta Font"
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:29:35 -0700 (PDT)

Carl Sorensen wrote:

> @subsection Shaped Notes
>
> @lilypond
> \include font-table.ly
> #(display-font-table 'shape-notes)
> @end lilypond
>
> @subsection Ancient Notes
>
> @lilypond
> \include font-table.ly
> #(display-font-table 'ancient-notes)
> @end lilypond

I just discovered a neat trick, but I don't know if this is really
acceptable. Let's say I've defined all the glyph-groups (like
clefs, timesig, accidentals, etc) in input/manual/font-table.ly.
Currently the last command in that file is this:

\markuplines \override-lines #'(word-space . 4)
             \doc-chars #(delete ".notdef"
                          (ly:otf-glyph-list (ly:system-font-load
"emmentaler-20")))

I found I can *omit* the final argument (to \doc-chars) like this:

\markuplines \override-lines #'(word-space . 4)
             \doc-chars

<end of file!>

Then, in Documentation/user/notation-appendices.itely, I can
repeatedly call \include "font-table.ly" and complete the
\doc-chars command with a new argument each time:

@subsection Clefs

@lilypond
\include "font-table.ly"
#clefs
@end lilypond

@subsection Time signatures

@lilypond
\include "font-table.ly"
#timesig
@end lilypond

@subsection Numbers

@lilypond
\include "font-table.ly"
#numbers
@end lilypond

etc.

This would mean that font-table.ly is not a compilable file on its
own. Is that allowed? It seems to be the most elegant solution, but
I wonder if there's a good reason not to do this. Let me know.

Thanks.
- Mark