Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:46:00 +1000

Joe Neeman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 17:09 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>> Am Montag, 22. Juni 2009 15:31:14 schrieb Joe Neeman:
>> > A quick update on the new vertical spacing: [...]
>> > Anything I've missed?
>>
>> While the new vertical spacing looks great for full scores (one system per
>> page), I have now run into a case where the old system worked much better.
>> In
>> particular, the spacing between the systems is too small with the new
>> system,
>> while in the old system it was easy to see where the systems end and new
>> systems begin. (On the positive side: The piano staff looks much better with
>> the new system).
>
> Fixed now. Also, we use the whole page now instead of leaving those gaps
> at the top and the bottom.

I've noticed a couple of problems with the default system spacing. If I
were to compile this file:

---------------------8<--------------

\version "2.13.4"

\score{
  \repeat unfold 150 {a' b' c' d' }
  \layout{
    ragged-bottom = ##t
  }
}

---------------------8<--------------

I end up with three pages. The final page, which consists of only three
systems, is spaced naturally and comfortably. The other pages, however,
have eight systems which are spaced very far apart. I imagine the three
systems on the final page could easily have been squeezed on to them.

I've also run into a similar problem that I don't appear to be able to
replicate minimally. A score I am working on should fit on to one page,
but unexpectedly page breaks about half way through so that the first
page has six systems and the second four. The systems are spaced
naturally, but there is a huge amount of space atthe bottom of each
page.

If you want me to send the file off list, Joe, let me know (I won't post
it here due to copyright issues).

BTW, what is the best place to report bugs with the new code? I'm
assuming that -bug is for mainstream code and problems with experimental
versions should be discussed here.

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/