Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:02:20 +0100

Hi Joe,

2009/7/26 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:

> Please do send me the files. But first, check to see if they give the
> same behaviour with current git. I pushed some changes yesterday that
> may have helped.

Have you carried these changes over from dev/jneeman?  The reason I
ask is that I'm now getting the same assertion failure on a particular
file (using --disable-optimising) with both branches:

lilypond: simple-spacer.cc:234: Real Simple_spacer::compress_line():
Assertion `fabs (configuration_length (cur_force) - cur_len) < 1e-6'
failed.

I can send you the file if you'd like to take a look at it.

I've tested a few examples of piano music, and apart from the spacing
between staves being very tight, I'm encountering some strange issues
associated with cross-staff beaming; sometimes they force the staves
apart, other times (mainly associated with existing cross-staff
beaming bugs) they trigger a collision with the next system.

When I set fixed distances using alignment-distances, I find that
systems with three staves sometimes break the page breaking algorithm:
systems spill off the bottom of the page, when it would be much better
to move one on to the next page.

Regards,
Neil