Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 06:49:13 -0400

Graham,

Oh, in case anybody was wondering: my father is pure native
British, educated at Oxford, and considers the 1978 Fowler's
Modern English second revised edition (printed in Oxford) to be
the definitive guide to English writing.  There's no American
influence here!

So what does Fowler's (both 1978 and the most recent edition) say about the matter? I don't have access to it directly... but the document at <http:// www.brand.uottawa.ca/documents/style-guide.pdf>, which lists Fowler's in the bibliography, calls [sensibly] for single-spaced sentences.

Cheers,
Kieren.