Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:04:03 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes
[1] the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is using the
American "z" in words rather than the British "s".  I just think
that "-ize" looks cooler than "-ise".

Actually, "s" is FRENCH, not English :-)

Bearing in mind The Times is one of the oldest English newspapers, I gather someone did a study of old editions, and it used zed (not zee!) when zed was the norm long long ago. And it CONTINUED using zed right up to the 1970s, when it finally gave into public pressure and adopted the French ess, some 100 or 150 years after most of the rest of the publishing industry.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden