Re: improving the CG

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:22:54 -0800 (PST)

Graham Percival wrote:
> What about making 2.2 Getting source, then 2.3 basic
> procedures, etc ?  That way, all the git stuff is still in
> the same chapter, but no section/subsection is
> unreasonably long.

You're proposing something like this?

1. Introduction to contributing
2. Working with source code
   2.1 Using the `lilycontrib' GUI
   2.2 Getting source with Git
       2.2.1 [installing, configuring]
       2.2.2 [downloading LilyPond branches]
   2.3 Basic Git procedures
   2.4 Advanced Git procedures

Then I think the previous version was better organized for
that since the lilypond-git GUI stuff is not bundled with
the command-line git stuff
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-12/txtIyag7LCUGz.txt):

1. Introduction to contributing
2. Using the `lilycontrib' GUI
3. Using Git
   3.1 Starting with Git
   3.2 Downloading branches
   3.3 Basic procedures
   3.4 Advanced procedures

> I'm not entirely comfortable with documentation being
> "post-compile".  How about having a "compiling" section
> (err, renamed to avoid a clash with the chapter name),
> with one subsection for "compiling the binary" and another
> for "compiling the documentation" ?

Well, I thought `make doc' should always be preceded by
`make'.  Am I wrong here?

- Mark