Re: improving the CG

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 03:42:18 +0000

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 08:26:51PM -0700, Colin Campbell wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
>> I don't think we should ask new contributors to do this.  I've added
>> it to the CG as a responsibility for mentors to inform their
>> contributors if they'll need a make clean or make doc-clean.
>
> It seemed to me, starry-eyed innocent that I am, that subscribing to
> -devel and -user would be among the better ways to git the feel of
> lilypond, so as long as new contribs are properly cautioned that a lot
> of -devel will be opaque at first, it should be recommended as a
> learning tool.

Yeah, but that adds 3-4 hours a week of reading.  I'm not
convinced it's worth it -- 3 more hours of looking at the current
documentation (to learn texinfo) and writing patches (to get
comments from the mentor) is going to be a *lot* more useful.
Especially since it's easy to miss the 1 really important email
saying "due to a makefile change, please run "make doc-clean"
before the next time you do "make doc"".

I'm not going to _discourage_ people from reading those lists, but
I don't think it should be explicitly recommended.  It's certainly
not a good learning tool!  The best way to learn is to dive in and
start doing stuff.

Speaking of which, I can't recall seeing any patches from you yet. ;)
If you want some suggestions, I have any number of simple tasks
that need doing.