Re: G clef changes [was: Re: Alternative music font]

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: G clef changes [was: Re: Alternative music font]
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:06:32 +0100

Francisco Vila schrieb:
2009/12/29 Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:
I concatenated the pdfs to one file, which is too big for the list, so I
put it on my website:

http://www.hohlart.de/marc/gclef-slant.pdf

I know that there is a spurious error on value 2, but I think that's not the
main problem. Which value looks best?

At a risk of being the "upper loop man" I have to say that starting
from parameter=0 upwards, the upper loop grows continuously.  If this
is what you mean when you say this still has to be normalized, then
forget me.

Yes, I wanted the loop to be corrected at step 3 ;-)
The width of the vertical seems to be thinner starting at 4.

Several things change at once in the sequence, but my amateurish vote
is for 2 even when it has the error, because it is between 1.5 and 2.5
which I like less.
Taking into account the other/earlier responses from David and Carl,
I now think that the three-step plan is wrong, because it first destroys
the existing balance to try to mend it later again.

@Carl:
I am not at all familiar with SVG. Could you please produce a file
similar to the one you sent already with different rotating angles?

(By the way: it is interesting to compare the values: my first
rude approach was done with value 3;
Carl proposes 1.5 which yields to a rotating angle of 1.1 degrees;
Francisco votes for 2, this is 1.5 degrees;
so the range between 1 and about 1.7 degrees  seems to be the
most interesting one).

Then, if we have a decision about the "right" rotating angle, I think
I can implement this in metafont.

A small correction of the bulb will probably be needed afterwards,
but this should not be too difficult, and once I got the right rotation
amount, I can generate comparison tests like my first one with
different bulbs.

I wanted to create a real life example to see the clef in its natural
environment, but in addition, I will cutout the clefs and collect them
onto a png file for better one-to-one comparison, once the rotation
is fixed.

Thanks for your resposes!

Greetings

Marc