Re: configure failure: OSX gcc building two arches SOLVED

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: configure failure: OSX gcc building two arches SOLVED
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:34:08 -0700

On 12/30/09 4:47 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 04:40:01PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> configure:9182: checking pango/pangoft2.h usability
>> configure:9182: gcc -c
>>  -arch ppc -arch i386
>
> Hmm.
>
>> It looks to me like the warning is generated because we have 2 architectures
>> in the gcc call, so the error here appears to be a red herring.  But I have
>> so little experience with this that I can't be sure.
>
> I see.
>
> So now we suspect that in apple's latest update, they changed
> something such that configure decides that gcc should build ppc
> and i386?  This change would only happen when you do a fresh
> ./configure, so it's not surprising the problem wasn't noticed
> until now.

OK, so I had two things that I needed to do to fix it.

First, I had to turn off the system installed Python, but commenting out the
lines in .bash_profile that added it to the path.

Second, I had to give CFLAGS to the configure command:

./configure CFLAGS='-arch i686'

Probably it would have been sufficient to just fix the Python path, because
the real error was that it couldn't find Python.h.  And that problem was
covered up by the multiple architecture errors.

At any rate, now I'm building.  Thanks for your help in figuring this out.

Carl