Re: please do a "make doc-clean; make clean"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: please do a "make doc-clean; make clean"
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:14:01 +0000

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 08:31:11AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> I did end up doing a reconfigure (due to trying the out-of-tree build, which
> also failed, but that's another story).
>
> During my configure, I've found the following warnings:
>
> checking g++ version... 4.0.1
> configure: WARNING: autoconf <= 2.59 with g++ >= 3.3 gettext test broken.
> configure: WARNING: Trying gcc, cross fingers.

That's normal, and has been for years.  (IIRC, we even have an
open issue for "clean up the configure so people don't get
confused by pointless warnings")

> checking Python.h usability... yes
> checking Python.h presence... no
> configure: WARNING: Python.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the
> preprocessor!

That's not normal.

> configure: WARNING: assert.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the
> preprocessor!

Definitely not normal.

> I don't remember seeing any of these before, but having all of these
> warnings causes me to think that perhaps there's a bad include path, but I
> have no clue about how to troubleshoot it.

Well, the problem is either in the git source, or something
special on your system.  The last change to configure.in was
removing some old pango stuff in Nov, which I can't imagine
causing this.

So what happened recently on your system?  Did you move the
lilypond git dir onto a removable HD?  I had some weird problems
with configure, but it turned out that I'd put it on an SD card
and the whole drive was marked noexec.  (security issue)

Did you update macports?  A new version of gcc, or make, or
automake, or autoconf, or whatever, could cause it.

Did you change your .profile ?  Maybe you added
  export PATH=/opt/new/version/of/matlab
instead of
  export PATH=/opt/new/version/of/matlab:$PATH

If none of those turn up anything... well, is your HD dying?
Apparently the SMART disk checker (in OSX, it's in the disk
utility) isn't terribly reliable; google found that a third of
their HDs died without any warnings (and nobody on earth who is
allowed to publish unclassified research papers uses more HDs than
google).  But hey, that still gives a 2/3 chance that if there
_is_ someting wrong, it'll show up.

After all, once we've eliminated the impossible, the only thing
left, however improbable, is the cause.  Something like that, at
least.