Re: please do a "make doc-clean; make clean"

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: please do a "make doc-clean; make clean"
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:22:18 -0800

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 08:31:11AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> I did end up doing a reconfigure (due to trying the out-of-tree build, which
>> also failed, but that's another story).
>>
>> During my configure, I've found the following warnings:
>>
>> checking g++ version... 4.0.1
>> configure: WARNING: autoconf <= 2.59 with g++ >= 3.3 gettext test broken.
>> configure: WARNING: Trying gcc, cross fingers.
>
> That's normal, and has been for years.  (IIRC, we even have an
> open issue for "clean up the configure so people don't get
> confused by pointless warnings")
>
>> checking Python.h usability... yes
>> checking Python.h presence... no
>> configure: WARNING: Python.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the
>> preprocessor!
>
> That's not normal.
>
>> configure: WARNING: assert.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the
>> preprocessor!
>
> Definitely not normal.
>
>> I don't remember seeing any of these before, but having all of these
>> warnings causes me to think that perhaps there's a bad include path, but I
>> have no clue about how to troubleshoot it.
>
> Well, the problem is either in the git source, or something
> special on your system.  The last change to configure.in was
> removing some old pango stuff in Nov, which I can't imagine
> causing this.

I agree that these warnings (except for the "Trying gcc, cross
fingers" one) are not normal.  Though I seem to recall that some Mac
users (maybe Patrick Schmidt) have reported them before.

Another thing you (Carl) could try is doing a local "git clone" of
your LilyPond repository into a new directory, and try doing
./autogen.sh from scratch.  The reason I suggest doing a *local* git
clone is so that you don't need to download 120MB unnecessarily.

-Patrick