Re: [frogs] Da Capos, Codas and Segnos

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [frogs] Da Capos, Codas and Segnos
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:09:57 +0100

> Hi all,
>
> I've been lurking a bit on this thread, but felt I should comment.
>
> I personally think we need a more general structure than \repeat will
> ever be able to reasonably offer.

My take on this is that we need the equivalent of (multiple) "goto" and
function calls in the basically notation-linear music flow for
establishing a performance-linear music flow.  The latter would be
instantiated when \UnfoldRepeats is in action.

Since in essence the number of imaginable repeat constructs is
infinitive (I posted such a sequence right now), those
performance-linear operators need to be accessible to a normal user, so
that a normal user can pepper his score with the respective "to be
performed in this order" instructions.

Those "goto" and "function calls" should be able to have some basic
effects not just on performance, but also on typesetting: ties starting
before a branch point (or function return) need to be ended in each
branch, the same for slurs and so on.  Meter/key changes need to be
preannounced when the performance-linear order will make them come up
next.

Once appropriate low-level primitives/events for the performance-linear
"goto/branch/call" are established, repeat volta and everything else can
be implemented in terms of them, and cautionaries, preannouncements
(which pretty much should be identical to prebreak behavior) and stuff
can be made to work in terms of the low-level events, not needing to
cater specifically for the various repeat/volta/segno/whatever
categories.