Re: [frogs] Da Capos, Codas and Segnos

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: [frogs] Da Capos, Codas and Segnos
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:59:10 +0000

On 16/02/10 17:20, reinhold [via LilyPond Frogs] wrote:
Am Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010 18:07:11 schrieb Ian Hulin:

> Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been lurking a bit on this thread, but felt I should comment.
> >
> > I personally think we need a more general structure than \repeat will
> > ever be able to reasonably offer. Essentially, we need to be able to say
> > that a single movement/piece [of Lilypond code] consists of one or more
> > \section blocks, where a \section would have at least the following
> > independent

> >     1. indent value[s] and/or line lengths;
> >     2. section title (e.g. "Trio").
> >
> > Then, each section can or cannot include standard Lilypond \repeat
> > structures, as necessary.
>
> Would it work something like this
>
> \score {
>      \section {
>           %untitled music expressions
>       }
>      \section :#title "Trio" :#indent 1 {
>            %title Trio section music indented by 1 position
>       }
> }

Isn't this exactly the same as using different \score blocks in a file?
Sort of (see below)
At least David's case of  multiple movements should be written with different
scores for each movement. I'm using different scores for different movements
all the time, they use the piece header property for the title, use proper
intendation, etc.

Each of these movements can have any repeat structure, of course.

Currently, we have the following hierarchy:

-) Book
-) Bookpart
-) Score

I think that suffices all scores. I haven't yet seen a work, where a movement
is further split into separate submovements that need to be scores by
themselves.

I think you're right, \bookpart and \score blocks within these provide most of what Kieran wanted.

But what about a movement Minuet- Trio then D.C to Fine in Minuet (generally done as one movement), or likewise Scherzo, Trio, Scherzo reprise (done via Da Capo) and then a Coda?  Is this all covered by using \bookpart containing multiple \score blocks? I'm not sure it is, quite.

Looking at the hierarchy in terms of engraved (pdf) output:
  • Book produces a separate output file
  • Bookpart produces a compulsory page break and allows modification of \header element
  • Score represents a continuous chunk of musical notation covering a contiguous timespan
  • Section could mean "a group of score blocks within a bookpart with markups at the start and/or end which reference each other"
I think we current;y nearly have enough to handle coda/segno-type stuff with this sort of idea.

\book {
    \header {
    title = "The Overall Opus"
    }
    \bookpart {
        %First Movement
    }
    \bookpart {
        %Second Movement
    }
    \bookpart {
        % 3. Scherzo
    \header {
        title = "3. Scherzo"
    }
    % Start of section
    \score {
        % Music for Section A of Scherzo
        % End with markup stating goto Coda if you've finished performing the Da Capo
    }
    \score {
        \header {
            title = "Trio"
        }
        % Music for Section B of Scherzo, aka Trio, ending with
        % "Da Capo" type markup
    }
    \score {
        \header {
            title = "Coda" % or \markup to generate ¤ (the hot-cross-bun sign)
        }
        % Music for Section C of Scherzo, the Coda
    }
    % End of section
}

We could have \section with this syntax:
\section title-markup-list lastbar-markup-list list-of-music-expressions
e.g.
\section {"" "Trio" "Coda"}                                     %markups to use as titles in \header within the score
             {"Al Coda 2a volta" "Da Capo al Coda" ""} %markups to print at the start of the last bar in each score
             {                                                               %the music _expression_ for each score
                {% Music for Section A of Scherzo}
                {% Music for Section B, aka Trio}
                {% Music for Coda}
             }

\section could use a new lastbar-markup property for \score which would be text to be printed at the start of the last bar of a score block, otherwise it would expand to the above idea.

Doable? Desirable? Or just me diving off down a gopher-hole?

Cheers,

Ian