Re: Can't build today's git pull

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Can't build today's git pull
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 18:31:06 +0000

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Peter Chubb <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> /usr/src/lilypond/scripts/build/out/help2man out/convert-ly >
>>> out/convert-ly.1 out/convert-ly:341: Warning: 'as' will become a
>>> reserved keyword in Python 2.6 File "out/convert-ly", line 341
>>> except InvalidVersion as ex: ^ SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>> help2man: can't get `--help' info from out/convert-ly
>
> Graham> Are you sure that's a build **failure**, and not just a
> Graham> **warning**?  I think I remember seeing the "help2man: can't
> Graham> get --help" error for years.
>
> It's a build failure -- make just stops at that point.

Interesting!  If I build with GUB, the installer builds (no compile
error), but trying to run convert-ly from that installer fails:

address@hidden:~/tmp$ convert-ly -e lily.ly
  File "/home/gperciva/.usr/lilypond/usr/bin/convert-ly", line 341
    except InvalidVersion as ex:
                           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I won't pretend to know how python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 3.0 and 3.1 all
treat this syntax, so could somebody who knows python take a look at
the current convert-ly and make it work on 2.4.5 and up?

Peter said his patch "should work on 2.5 and 2.6"; I don't know if the
omission of 2.4 was because it wouldn't work there, or just because he
didn't think anybody would be using such an old version.  :)   If the
python-person thinks the patch would work on 2.4, then please push
that patch.