Re: website translation infrastructure

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: website translation infrastructure
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:29:09 +0000

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 05:05:30PM +0100, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2010/3/5 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Well, look at the "staging ground" for the new website:
> > http://lilypond.org/~graham/website/
> >
> > If we replaced the main website with this one right now, would you
> > complain about anything?
>
> - "Manuals" link is broken, points to
> http://lilypond.org/~graham/website/manuals..html#Manuals (note the
> double dot). All other main menu links are also broken.

Hah, that was funny!  Fixed.

> - website/ does not support auto language change. One has to click in
> "Other languages: whatever."

No clue about this.  Somebody else can look up how this is done.
Is it apache?  Is it javascript?

> - in website/index.es.html the "Other languages: whatever." is still
> in English. It should be translated.

The capability is there now.  Edit scripts/build/website_post.py
to give it a real message.

> - "quick links" pane at the right side shows @ref{  instead of working links.

You can fix Documentation/es/web.texi yourself.  hint: the es web
doesn't have any @node Manuals or @node Download.

> - Document names are not translated, except for "Text Input" which is
> an internal web link, not a document.

texinfo is using Documentation/macros.itexi instead of
Documentation/es/macros.itexi.  Try playing with the -I dirs given
in website.make.  (lines 89-98)

> - "english" link from translated page leads to main
> website/index.html, it should be website/manuals.html
> - same for "español" link, it leads to main website/index.html, it
> should be website/manuals.es.html

Fixed.

> - links to PDF manuals in every "details" pages lead to English PDF.

done ickily.

> - the "Back to main doc index" link leads to old doc page, it should
> be the new Manuals page [when the change will happen]

added to 844, since it's not related to translations.

> >  That's how things get done in open-source projects.  And
> > closed-source projects, for that matter.
>
> Well, that could be said at the end of every single message of every
> single thread on this list.

Yeah, but not every single thread has developers apparently not
knowing what to do.