Re: git repository with fixed history ready

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: git repository with fixed history ready
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:40:40 +0000

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:05:51AM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 23/03/2010 alle 01.49 +0000, Graham Percival ha scritto
> > Could somebody translate for the git-impaired?
> >
> > - if I have no non-pushed commits, do I need to do anything?
>
> Yes: scrap out your existing Git repo and clone the new one.  If you
> have non-pushed commits, then save them in patches (and stash uncomitted
> changes into patches as well), and apply them in the newly cloned repo.

Ok, that's easy enough to do.  Good job questioning Francisco
about the pull/push thing; it's just possible that I might have
forgotten to delete lilypond git from all three computers.  I feel
better knowing that I can't do a cataclysmic git push history
rewriting by accident.  :)

> > - does anything need to happen to branches like dev/waf ?  (again,
> >   assuming that we have pushed everything)
>
> Yes, they will have to be rebased on top of the rewritten history.

Who's volunteering to do this?  I guess we should do this for all
branches, including almost-certainly-abandoned ones like
dev/rlittle with initial work on braille output.

> > - if we tell new contributors to remove their lilypond-git dirs
> >   before the changeover, then tell them to run lily-git after the
> >   changeover, will it work?
>
> Yes, it will.

Ok, that's a big relief.