Re: lilypad for windows

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: lilypad for windows
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:35:48 -0700

Hi Jan,

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen
<address@hidden> wrote:

> While I appreciate your  working on lilypad, I doubt
> whether this is an efficient way of spending our efforts.

Yeah, I'm getting a little carried away.  :)

I'm starting to think it would be difficult expanding on the current
LilyPad, since it really lacks features, and I'm starting to not enjoy
working with the win32 API...  Also, many people want to see syntax
highlighting, etc., and the current solution isn't going to cut it.

While it's "interesting", I agree that working on a cross-platform
editor would be a much wiser use of time.

> Why not write a simple editor in pygtk?  Indeed, I wanted
> to write a simple editor to get you going and found gummi:
>
>    http://gummi.midnightcoding.org/

Cool!

I got it running on my Linux box, and it looks promising.

> It could be smart to work together with gummi,
> possibly there are better programs than gummi,
> possibly we're better off stealing their technology
> (poppler pdf display) and rolling our own.
>
> What do you think?

I think if we "roll our own" LilyPad, and borrow a lot of ideas from
gummi or other similar projects, we'll be on the right track.

Thanks a lot for posting about this.

-Patrick