Re: lilypad for windows

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: lilypad for windows
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:17:11 +0200

Op zondag 18-07-2010 om 19:25 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Carl
Sorensen:

> Why do we want to "roll our own" when we already have LilyPondTool/Jedit,
> and Frescobaldi?

We already roll our own: we have lilypad-macos, lilypad-windows and
we still ship exactly nothing for linux (we could have the installer
print a message: and now please run: apt-get install frescobaldi).

Dropping these does not seem to be a viable solution, spending more
time on these is also not attractive.

The best thing would be to have others develop exactly what we want
to ship in our installers, but I don't see that yet.

> I think the answers are 1) Jedit is not very lightweight, and we want
> something lightweight; and 2) Frescobaldi is specific to KDE and we want to
> develop something that is cross-platform.

LilyPondTool is a great and powerful tool -- but I don't think jedit is
a good choice for novice users.  Besides its heaviness it's a complex
and featureful/scary editor and it also looks even more of an ugly
monster on your desktop than openoffice does.

> Is it possible to separate the KDE4 stuff from Frescobaldi, and use pygtk
> instead?  Perhaps we could use the same core functionality.

That would be nice.

Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyOfSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl