Re: lilypad for windows

From: Arno Waschk
Subject: Re: lilypad for windows
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:56:42 +0200

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:17:11 +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:

Op zondag 18-07-2010 om 19:25 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Carl
Sorensen:

Why do we want to "roll our own" when we already have LilyPondTool/Jedit,
and Frescobaldi?

We already roll our own: we have lilypad-macos, lilypad-windows and
we still ship exactly nothing for linux (we could have the installer
print a message: and now please run: apt-get install frescobaldi).

Dropping these does not seem to be a viable solution, spending more
time on these is also not attractive.

The best thing would be to have others develop exactly what we want
to ship in our installers, but I don't see that yet.

I think the answers are 1) Jedit is not very lightweight, and we want
something lightweight; and 2) Frescobaldi is specific to KDE and we want to
develop something that is cross-platform.

i used to use Frescobaldi under Windows via andlinux...

LilyPondTool is a great and powerful tool -- but I don't think jedit is
a good choice for novice users.  Besides its heaviness it's a complex
and featureful/scary editor and it also looks even more of an ugly
monster on your desktop than openoffice does.

Is it possible to separate the KDE4 stuff from Frescobaldi, and use pygtk
instead?  Perhaps we could use the same core functionality.

That would be nice.

Jan.