Re: lilypad for windows

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: lilypad for windows
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:25:37 -0600

On 7/18/10 3:11 PM, "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op zondag 18-07-2010 om 13:35 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Patrick
> McCarty:
> Hi Patrick,
>
>> Yeah, I'm getting a little carried away.  :)
>
> Been there, see below :-)
>
>>>    http://gummi.midnightcoding.org/
>>
>> Cool!
>>
>> I got it running on my Linux box, and it looks promising.
>
> Talking about carried away, I got it built in GUB and running in
> wine ;-)
>
>> I think if we "roll our own" LilyPad, and borrow a lot of ideas from
>> gummi or other similar projects, we'll be on the right track.
>
> Yeah, probably maybe.  I'm not too comfortable with this tex-ness,
> otoh, sharing efforts would be nice.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, and I think I might know the
answer, but ...

Why do we want to "roll our own" when we already have LilyPondTool/Jedit,
and Frescobaldi?

I think the answers are 1) Jedit is not very lightweight, and we want
something lightweight; and 2) Frescobaldi is specific to KDE and we want to
develop something that is cross-platform.

Is it possible to separate the KDE4 stuff from Frescobaldi, and use pygtk
instead?  Perhaps we could use the same core functionality.

It seems better to not reinvent the wheel if we can avoid it.

Thanks,

Carl