Re: LilyBuntu [don't read kainhofer.com!]

From: James
Subject: Re: LilyBuntu [don't read kainhofer.com!]
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:10:58 +0000

Hello,

On 09/12/2010 15:32, Graham Percival wrote:
Were you trying to run the autorun.sh , and not the other file that
you mentioned ?  I think the autorun.sh is the "main" file that you're
supposed to run.

Yes it is.

I guess it depends if you are all 'point and clicky' or used to using CLI.

The instructions in VBOX own manual tell you to run ./autogen.sh but as this is Ubuntu you have to run

sudo ./autogen.sh

then type the password and then the installer does everything for you, eventually you will be asked to press return to finish.

Depending on what you are updating your VBOX tools from - you may be promoted to reboot.

As a side note when you open VBOX main GUI it will check for any updates, if you do download the new VBOX binary, then stop the VM (you can shut it down or you can simply close the VM window and 'save state') and once the VM is not running or shutdown, close the VBOX main gui and run the update.

The VBOX additions will detect on the next start up that they are from an older version and depending on what has changed between the VBOX update you have used now and had before you may have to run the ./autogen.sh again.

If you use a windows VM it is easy as you can right click on the system tray and install the additions.

This is probably waaay beyond the scope of the CG but I hope this helps someone.

Also LilyBuntu is 9.0.4 and this version is no longer maintained by 'canonical' (?) so I no longer get prompted to update core components as I have them all installed.

I only mention this because it is a while since I have reinstalled LilyBuntu and I seem to recall the ./autogen.sh script I run prior to make, had changed and did a lot more checking of components and apart from the dbflatex (?) version (which was slightly behind and generated a warning that I was told could be ignored), I cannot remember if I needed to apt-get any more core updates. But I didn't have any problems that I can remember.

I use VBOX on Windows and on my Mac with LilyBuntu if anyone needs any advice or help and I also helped with the CG in parts on this too.

James