Organ pedalboard fingerings

From: Bertrand Bordage
Subject: Organ pedalboard fingerings
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:16:37 +0100

Hello frogs (although I am French, I won't eat you) !

First of all, a huge thanks to the team for allowing us to freely use the overall best music engraving software :p

I would like to report a tiny weakness I noticed.
It seems to me that LilyPond's standard fingerings for organ pedalboard are incorrect.

Instead of this :

{ \clef F a4\ltoe a\lheel a\rtoe a\rheel }

We should have this:

{ \clef F a4_\rtoe a\lheel a\rtoe a^\lheel }

These fingerings are schematic representation of a foot. That's why they shouldn't be directed according to their position (above or below the staff). Fixed and opposite directions can also avoid any mistake when reading quickly handwritten fingerings.
Especially since most publishers, I think, uses this behavior.
On the web I only found these examples, but I can assure you I saw this notation in many other scores :

http://www.bodensee-musikversand.de/notenbeispiele/108056.jpg
http://www.bodensee-musikversand.de/notenbeispiele/108452.jpg
http://www.bodensee-musikversand.de/notenbeispiele/108452_midi.gif

I made a patch that removes the 2 useless definitions in mf/feta-scripts.mf and update scm/script.scm.

Regards,
Bertrand Bordage.