Re: Organ pedalboard fingerings

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Organ pedalboard fingerings
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:36:21 -0700

On 12/16/10 6:04 AM, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12/16/10 5:16 AM, "Bertrand Bordage" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hello frogs (although I am French, I won't eat you) !
>>
>> First of all, a huge thanks to the team for allowing us to freely use the
>> overall best music engraving software :p
>>
>> I would like to report a tiny weakness I noticed.
>> It seems to me that LilyPond's standard fingerings for organ pedalboard are
>> incorrect.
>>
>> Instead of this :
>>
>> { \clef F a4\ltoe a\lheel a\rtoe a\rheel }
>>
>> We should have this:
>>
>> { \clef F a4_\rtoe a\lheel a\rtoe a^\lheel }
>
> It would be good to change the documentation to reflect this usage if it's
> standard modern usage.

BTW, I have checked Read, Stone, and Ross.  All three are consistent with
Bertrand's report.  All three indicate that ^ and u should be used for toe
and heel, respectively, and that right foot indications go above the staff
and left foot indications go below the staff.

Only Stone lists the possibility of alternate markings of v and o for toe
and heel, and he lists it as o, not as an upside-down u.

Clearly, Bertrand is correct about modern usage.

Thanks,

Carl