Re: lilybuntu 2 and instructions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilybuntu 2 and instructions
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:37:02 +0000

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 08:49:26PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> It might be a good idea to provide users with a version-independent
> URL, such as files.lilynet.net/lilybuntu-latest.iso (this way I can
> just maintain the symlink without having the CG everytime a new iso is
> out).

I would rather not do that -- I *want* people to have to update
the CG when a new iso is out.  This should only happen once or
twice a year, and requiring a CG-patch will hopefully make the
author check over the "quick start" instructions to ensure that
they still match the actual iso.

For example, if somebody uses lilybuntu 2.1 but follows the
instructions from current git, they will be unable to download
the source.  They will type:
  cd
  wish lily-git.tcl
and see this:
  Error in startup script: couldn't read file "lily-git.tcl": no
  such file or directory

We do *not* want this to happen in the "ultra-reliable,
easy-to-get-started, no-unix-skillzors-necessary" part of the CG.

> Likewise, you might also want to consider giving a torrent link (in
> many cases it's the preferred way of downloading a LiveCD image).

I see two problems with this:
1. unless we have more than 1 seeder, a torrent actually requires
_more_ upload bandwidth from you.  Torrents are less efficient
than plain old http.
2. do all "inexperienced but helpful users" know how to use
torrents?  Maybe, maybe not.

... that said, I just realized that you were probably asking about
giving a torrent link in addition to the http download.  No
problem there; I'll add it to the @advanced bit.  (I'm still not
convinced that it will save any bandwidth, but I'll add it just in
case people want to feel more geeky)

> BTW: since we are effectively distributing a full-blown GNU/Linux
> distro, we might want to consider naming it differently; as things
> currently are, I'm afraid we're committing a trademark infringement of
> sorts:

Mao.

Ok, Jonathan: you're making this thing, so you have final say on
the name.  Based on the discussion, I would recommend:
- don't mention "virtual", since you can of course install
  lilybuntu in a dual-boot (or even single-boot) system.
- I don't recommend going for a generic name like "frog linux"; we
  should be clear that this is for lilypond.
- I don't recommend simply calling it "lilypond linux", since some
  people might think that you need this thing just to run
  lilypond.

I still slightly favor something like "u-lily-contrib", but the
final decision is officially yours.  Let's call the next version
1.0, and Valentin will delete the "infringing" iso names from his
files.lilynet.net once we have the new version.

I'll be updating issue 1454 in an hour or two with a new (final?)
wishlist of changes relative to 2.1, so please wait until then
before uploading a new version.