Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:01:01 -0800

On Nov 8, 2011, at 4:20 AM, address@hidden wrote:

On Nov 7, 2011, at 9:33 PM, Keith OHara wrote:

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:51:14 -0800, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm OK with getting rid of all of this pure-from-neighbor and span-bar-stub stuff and just create several SpanBars instead of one SpanBar with gaps in its stencil.  I can reuse code I've already written, so it's not that bad.

Would you do it as a revert of 4f49b000 followed by a commit to make a clean fix for issue 910 ?

Exactly.  I'll have time to work on this today.

So, I checked what'd happen if the patch reverted and it reverts fine (it needs one additional revert - it's relatively easy to swim upstream with this one).

I also tried to think as lucidly as I can about how this works and what is best from a design perspective and, after mulling over it some more, I've uploaded a new patch that simplifies the interface as much as possible and fixes (I think) all of the issues I've raised.  I've also uploaded some doc text for review that explains how I understand pure properties (which hopefully highly correlates with how they actually work).  It was after writing this text that I realized how to formulate the problem as succinctly as possible with a small lily example.  I've attached two versions of:

\relative c'''' {
  <ais bis cis dis>
}

one from current master and one from the most recent version of my patch set.  If the version from current master is acceptable in traditional typesetting, then I'll revert.  But all the (meager) evidence I find is to the contrary (also see attached), which is why I'm standing by the most recent patch set.

Cheers,
MS