Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Fixes NoteColumn vs SpanBar collisions. (issue 5323062)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 04:19:47 -0700

On Nov 4, 2011, at 2:35 PM, Keith OHara wrote:

> The bug happens when the piece is entirely hight notes. (I should add some
> intelligence to handle this case, so that we can use
> 'skyline-vertical-padding without this annoyance.)  Any single protrusion
> below the staff anywhere in the piece lets the lyrics slide under.
>
> \paper{ragged-right = ##t}
> <<\new Staff \new Voice = "a" {c''2 g'' \break g''1 g''2 g''2}
> \new Lyrics { \lyricsto "a" \lyricmode { he will go straight through } } >>

Why are you interested in keeping skyline-vertical-padding?  I don't know the
full history behind the creation/maintenance of the property, but it seems to
me that this is a one-size-fits-all property that, if eliminated, would allow
for more subtle solutions on a grob-to-grob basis.  Currently, for example, the
same property is causing ChordNames to expand measures if all the chords in a
piece fall below the upper extreme of the staff (see chord-name-exceptinos.ly,
for example).  Furthermore, I'm always weary about magic #s that are based on
an overridable layout decision.  The existence of ledger lines for notes is not
always guaranteed, and if they exist, they can be moved, in which case the 0.6
that's the current value would no longer work.

Cheers,
MS