Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:17:17 +0200

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks Janek!  Very valuable stuff.

:)

>> (sorry, too big for an attachment - 200 kB)
>> In short:
>> - staffswitch lines are broken
>
> This is because VoiceFollower is not set as (cross-staff . #t) in
> define-grobs.scm.  I'm not sure why...this seems like a good idea
> irrespective of how the skyline work pans out.

I find it even more surprising that Glissandos work perfectly.  Aren't
they related to VoiceFollowers?

>> - some ties change shape
>
> This will take me some time to figure out...I'm gonna have to look at all the
> parameters going into tie scoring and see which ones are changing.  I'll
> likely push something to staging the weekend or next week in the style of
> Tie_formatting_problem::spew () that gives tons of specs and then run the
> output through python to pick up on changes.  Of course, if any tie gurus
> have intuition about this, lemme know!

No idea when i'll have time to finish Tie Report, but as tie shapes
are screwed in general, i wouldn't care much about this change.  New
shape isn't worse than previous one, i'd say.

>> - some skylines are really weird
>
> This is likely a directioning problem - all upwards pointing skylines seem to
> come out just fine.  The culprit would most likely be in stencil-integral.cc:
> the notion of "UP" must be hardcoded somewhere that it shouldn't be.
> If you have a moment to test out weird-skylines.ly on different versions of
> the patchset, I'd appreciate it!

Tenuto skyline seems to be wrong since the beginning - i've tested
patchsets 36, 34, 32 and 30, it looked similar everywhere.
Sharp and forte skylines seemed ok in patchset 36, see here:
http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/file/n5705595/weird-skylines_patchset-36.pdf
http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/file/n5705595/weird-skylines_patchset-37.pdf

>> - sometimes objects interlock too much.
>
> This was the case in the lyric example you sent.  I fixed it by adding light
> skyline-horizontal-padding to lyrics.

Hmm.  I have another idea, which would be more difficult but also
extremely awesome, and it would be very handy for area spacing (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-03/msg00507.html):
make the skyline shape "magnetic".  See illustration here:
http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/file/n5705595/magnetic_skylines_demo.pdf

What do you think?

cheers,
Janek