Re: Volta enhancements tranche 1 (issue 6398055)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Volta enhancements tranche 1 (issue 6398055)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:24:06 +0200

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:01:03AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> We can still decide on what we want to see in our source code.  Matching
>> that to the realities of an existing Texinfo implementation is then a
>> matter of changing macros.
>
> Texinfo does not allow us to sort
>   abc
>   \bcd
>   cde
>
> instead it sorts
>   \bcd
>   abc
>   cde
>
> if you can see a way to change this, then it would make sense to
> have a discussion.

Again: I don't see that Texinfo behavior precludes us from writing
consistent input.  Mapping this input to current Texinfo behavior is a
matter of redefining a macro then.

Looking at the Texinfo source, it would appear that the main makeinfo
engine uses the locale-aware system sorting routines, so it is
conceivable that calling Texinfo with a suitable LC_COLLATE setting
might do the trick on systems having locales supporting this kind of
order.