Re: Reduces langdefs.py warnings in doc build (issue 6487046)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Reduces langdefs.py warnings in doc build (issue 6487046)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:48:18 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden> To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 3:37 PM

I don't see the point of hiding/getting rid of these warnings, when
1) for now these warnings are harmless outside Documentation/??

http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/gop_9.html - "By default, no other output will be displayed on the console". These warnings are pointless - they always occur and require no fix. They can confuse new contributors. So we should get rid of them.

2) if you want to get rid of the cause of the warning it should require
not more than adding at the beginning of
generic-targets.make:doc-stage-1

make -C $(top-build-dir)/Documentation/po out=www messages

I tried building po before Docs but there seemed to be a dependency. I'll have another look.

(and possibly "make -C $(top-build-dir)/python out=")

(Similar trick could apply to test/test-baseline/check.)

http://codereview.appspot.com/6487046/diff/1/python/langdefs.py
File python/langdefs.py (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6487046/diff/1/python/langdefs.py#newcode101
python/langdefs.py:101: if not os.environ.has_key ('NO_GETTEXT'):
This doesn't make sense to me: if you want to disable the warning below
warning in all cases, which is what the patch seems to do, why not just
remove the "if os.environ.has_key ('LYDOC_LOCALEDIR')" block?

It doesn't disable it in all cases. lilypond-book is called many times in a doc build (e.g. for regtests). This only disables it for the build of the manuals.

--
Phil Holmes