Re: Reduces langdefs.py warnings in doc build (issue 6487046)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Reduces langdefs.py warnings in doc build (issue 6487046)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:28:34 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Mandereau" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Lily devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 4:20 PM

2012/8/27 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>;
<address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 3:37 PM

I don't see the point of hiding/getting rid of these warnings, when
1) for now these warnings are harmless outside Documentation/??

http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/gop_9.html - "By default, no other output
will be displayed on the console".  These warnings are pointless - they
always occur and require no fix. They can confuse new contributors. So we
should get rid of them.

OK, so let's fix them.

2) if you want to get rid of the cause of the warning it should require
not more than adding at the beginning of
generic-targets.make:doc-stage-1

make -C $(top-build-dir)/Documentation/po out=www messages

I tried building po before Docs but there seemed to be a dependency. I'll
have another look.

I wonder which dependency you missed; in a source tree cleaned with
"git clean -f -d -x", I successfully did

./autogen.sh
make -C Documentation/po out=www messages
make link-tree
make -C python
make -C scripts

then (with console output)
$ out/bin/lilypond-book --version
2.17.0
address@hidden lilypond]$ LYDOC_LOCALEDIR=bla
out/bin/lilypond-book --version
langdefs.py: warning: lilypond-doc gettext domain not found.
2.17.0
address@hidden lilypond]$
LYDOC_LOCALEDIR=Documentation/po/out-www out/bin/lilypond-book
--version
2.17.0

python/ and scripts/ are expected to have built before "make doc" is
called, but Documentation/po:(out=www)messages doesn't even need
those.

As I said, I will check what I found, but am in the middle of getting rid of some bibtex messages now, so will answer later.

It doesn't disable it in all cases. lilypond-book is called many times in a doc build (e.g. for regtests). This only disables it for the build of the
manuals.

But then why should we keep this warning for the regtests only (I get
some in regtests doc build on Grenouille)?

Best,
John

With my patch, on my machine, I don't get warnings for the regtests, because they're built after the docs (and therefore after the .mo files are created).

--
Phil Holmes