Re: automated computing tasks for lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: automated computing tasks for lilypond
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:52:47 +0200

James <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On 28 August 2012 08:17, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Let's make a list of tasks we want, then make sure that we're
>> doing them on sensible computers.
>>
>> - Patchy staging-merge: powerful computer, no fixed internet
>>   connection.  Every 6 hours?
>> - Patchy test-patches: powerful computer, fixed internet
>>   connection, lots of free space to host the regtest comparisons.
>>   Every 6 hours?
>> - translation documentation building: relatively slow computer,
>>   fixed internet connection.  Every 24 hours?
>>
>> anything else?  what computers do we have available?
>
> As you know you have mine that already does test-patchy (manually) and
> has done 'staging-merge' but it has no real bandwidth to offer
> 'hosting' or 'remote access' to other users - it sits at home behind a
> bog-standard DSL router. So it's essentially a 'push-only' server so
> to speak - hence the reason it was ok for Patchy merge. But unless I
> can work out how to get access through the DSL router (I've not
> checked) it isn't really helpful for those devs that might want to
> tweak and test updated scripts. Technically there's no reason why I
> couldn't allow ssh access via a terminal session, I just haven't
> bothered to figure out how to set up port forwarding on the router
> properly yet.

The main beef is getting a dyndns setup where your changing IP address
keeps associated with the same outside name.  dyndns.org is something
you can register on, and most routers have options for notifying a
dynamic ip dns server.

Without a fixed entry point (in this case, a fixed name), outside access
is hard to implement.