preliminary GLISS discussions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: preliminary GLISS discussions
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:10:35 +0100

At the Waltrop meeting, Janek proposed a number of interesting but
potentially disruptive changes to the lilypond syntax.  On a
personal note, I really like most of them, but it will take a good
chunk of work before they're ready to discuss on the main
development list.

Further complicating issues is that it quickly became apparent
that I am not personally qualified to judge if a proposal is ready
for main discussion.  For example, one idea was to use postfix
notation for (almost) everything.  David pointed out that this
would wreck havok on music functions, and I had to admit that I
have no clue what a music function is.  I mean, I know that
there's \commands, but I have no clue what the difference is
between \p, \relative, \staccato; other than their effect on the
graphical+midi output.

I'm not enthusiastic about cluttering -devel with preliminary
discussions like teaching me about music functions vs. whatever
the other thing are.  At one point there was a mailing list on
lilynet for syntax discussions, but I'm not certain if that's
active.  I could also make a new gnu.org mailing list...  but
either of those options would require anybody interested in that
discussion to sign up for a new mailing list.

Thoughts?  opinions?  alternatives that I haven't considered?
These discussions are going to produce a *lot* of emails.