Re: Standardizes use of empty extents in pure heights and skylines. (iss

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Standardizes use of empty extents in pure heights and skylines. (issue 7310075)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:10:56 +0100

On 27 févr. 2013, at 07:03, address@hidden wrote:

Just needs cleanup of some leftover unneeded complications.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/lily/skyline.cc
File lily/skyline.cc (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/lily/skyline.cc#newcode488
lily/skyline.cc:488: will be ignored.
What do you mean by "they will be ignored"?  On line 501, empty segments
seem to be reversed, making non-empty segments.

Fixed. Bad copy and paste.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/ly/engraver-init.ly
File ly/engraver-init.ly (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/ly/engraver-init.ly#newcode896
ly/engraver-init.ly:896: \override Clef.Y-extent =
#grob::all-heights-from-stencil
Why the \overrride to the same value as its default ?

Fixed.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/ly/gregorian.ly
File ly/gregorian.ly (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/ly/gregorian.ly#newcode103
ly/gregorian.ly:103: \once \override BreathingSign.Y-extent =
#grob::all-heights-from-stencil
This is now the default, so no need for overrides.

Fixed.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/scm/define-grobs.scm
File scm/define-grobs.scm (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/scm/define-grobs.scm#newcode1825
scm/define-grobs.scm:1825: (Y-extent .
,grob::unpure-empty-pure-point-height)
(Y-extent . ,grob::all-heights-from-stencil)

We do not /want/ to allow outside-staff objects to slide down alongside
note-heads protruding from the staff, if by doing so they overlap any
repeat ties that might be there.

I'll take this for a spin...not sure if it'll work but no harm regtesting it.  My goal was to preserve the original behavior, but if this is better no harm in using it.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/scm/define-grobs.scm#newcode1992
scm/define-grobs.scm:1992: ; should preserve the span bar's presence for
horizontal spacing
"want this to be ignored" when ?
Presumably during staff-spacing, but what problem could it cause if not
ignored ?

It will be part of the skyline, potentially blocking things that shouldn't be blocked.

If staves would otherwise move away trying to make room for it, the
SpanBar avoids this using cross-staff = ##t

The SpanBar has no height, so it is never taken into account in spacing.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/scm/define-grobs.scm#newcode1993
scm/define-grobs.scm:1993: (Y-extent .
,grob::unpure-empty-pure-point-height)
(Y-extent . (0 . 0))

See above.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/scm/lily-library.scm
File scm/lily-library.scm (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/scm/lily-library.scm#newcode629
scm/lily-library.scm:629: (define-public small-empty-interval '(0.01 .
-0.01))
orphaned

Abandoned.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/scm/output-lib.scm
File scm/output-lib.scm (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7310075/diff/38001/scm/output-lib.scm#newcode69
scm/output-lib.scm:69: (ly:make-unpure-pure-container #f '(0 . 0)))
The changes to define-grobs.scm work for me, so this can be orphaned,
thankfully.

I'm with you on RepeatTie, but not SpanBarStub.  SpanBarStub needs to only have height in Separation_item::boxes which is accomplished via the addition of extra-spacing-height.  Otherwise we don't want the spacing engine to know it's there.  This can be accomplished (for now) by having a point pure height and adding the extra-spacing-height.  The problem is that the notion "horizontal spacing equals pure height plus extra spacing height" is hardcoded into Separation_item::boxes.  There should be horizontal-spacing-height and horizontal-spacing-width instead of extra-spacing-height and extra-spacing-width that has set as a default pure-height and width unless specified otherwise.

But changing that would be a UI nightmare, so I'm reluctant to do it.

Cheers,
MS