Re: Be serious about setstrokeadjust in PostScript primitives (issue 866

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Be serious about setstrokeadjust in PostScript primitives (issue 8663044)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:35:46 -0700

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:39:23 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

On 2013/04/25 07:47:47, dak wrote:

Which is mostly a problem of the previewers (_they_ are supposed to
approximate the output of the PDF) but it still affects our users and
we get the blame for it because "it works for others" (TM)

The "others" may well have assigned a junior programmer to keep trying things until
things looked reasonable on his previewer. I would not think the beam shown at
<http://lilypond.org/web/about/automated-engraving/software> would escape complaints long
enough to make it into a release, but it did.

LilyPond is a volunteer project.  We can do whatever maximizes the collective
satisfaction of the participants.

But another problem is that of beams and stems not blending perfectly.
We won't get rid of that before the release.  It requires typesetting
beams _along_ with their stems.  It's not new, either.

The code tries to use parameters like 'blot-diameter' to fit the beam to the
stem.  I am not sure if the code allows for varying 'blot-diameter' all details
(such as the joint between stem and note-head) but the attempt has been begun.

Having the pretty-preview option increase 'blot-diameter' to the width of the thicker of
the stem or single-bar-line, along with an ugly comment including a reminder to
"synchronize with Stem.thickness", seems the simplest way to simplify the
output for the sake of low-quality renderers, and to be easily reversible.