Re: Be serious about setstrokeadjust in PostScript primitives (issue 866

From: dak
Subject: Re: Be serious about setstrokeadjust in PostScript primitives (issue 8663044)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 22:22:53 +0000

On 2013/04/23 21:56:07, Keith wrote:
Confirming that the .pdf size doubles, but only if we measure relative
to the
size of the smaller .pdfs we get if we know to use
-dno-point-and-click.  The
time required to process the larger .ps was less that 1% the total
time to
compile my test .ly files.

Confirming that the resulting larger .pdf has better and more
consistent line
thickness when previewed with Adobe Reader on WinXP.

I had to look for a while to find a PDF previewer that showed the
original
problem.  Maybe no-pretty-previews by default?

The Evince shipped with Gnome as DocumentViewer 2.32.0
using poppler/cairo (0.14.4) shows no problem (good previews with
visually
consistent line thicknesses at all zoom).  SumatraPDF, using the MuPDF
engine,
shows no problem.  AcroRead on WinXP shows a minor problem, that only
becomes
obvious I we turn on the setting "Enhance Thin Lines".  (I just did a
fresh
install of Adobe Reader XI and found "EnhanceThinLines" is set by
default.)
Once I found the problem, this patch did fix it.

Evince in Raring Ringtail (upcoming Ubuntu) is
GNOME Document Viewer 3.6.1
and definitely shows the problem.  Libraries are
ii  libcairo2:i386 1.12.14-0ubu i386         The Cairo 2D vector
graphics libr
ri  libpoppler28:i 0.20.5-1ubun i386         PDF rendering library

xpdf (from several versions back, the last one that does not just
segfault) too.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8663044/