Re: Lilypond benchmarking

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Lilypond benchmarking
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 19:38:23 +0000 (UTC)

Phil Holmes <mail <at> philholmes.net> writes:

> > I've done quite a bit of work trying to see what's going on and have
> > discovered that something introduced between (I think) 2.17.18 and
2.17.19
> > has affected how lily determines whether it can fit another system in.
> > With ragged-bottom set and annotate spacing, on one of my scores 17.19
> > shows 49.07 space left and the next system having an extent of 44.7.
> > Despite that it puts that system on the following page.  The earlier
> > version fits it in, albeit with the complaint "warning: cannot fit
music
> > on page: ragged-spacing was requested, but page was compressed".
Without
> > ragged-bottom, that complaint is not there.
> >
> commit 51560f756aa3ab37592c815062e733998accf79c
> align-interface.cc: Clarify code for empty staves

This commit was made in the middle of our trying to get the
page-breaker and page-layout to agree on how to handle empty staves.
  (issue 3160 3161 1669 and 3338)
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3338#c18

However, this commit was supposed to clarify code without changing any
behavior.  I made it a separate commit so it would revert cleanly, and
it does  http://codereview.appspot.com/13768045
but I hesitate to go back to the old, rather sneaky, code.

Is it possible to minimize an example, so we see if the old behavior
is something we want?  (as opposed to something that did what you
wanted but for mysterious reasons.)