Re: Lilypond benchmarking

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Lilypond benchmarking
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 07:08:26 +0000 (UTC)

Keith OHara <k-ohara5a5a <at> oco.net> writes:

> The next system extent is (-44.70, 4.34) which is a height of 49.04,
> Given that the first-page extents plus copyright line would leave an
> estimated (at page-breaking time) space left somewhat less than 49
> spaces, I see why LilyPond put the next system on the next page.
>
> If I revert the 'clarify' patch,
>  http://codereview.appspot.com/13768045
> that extent goes down to (-44.70, 1.31)  There are three
> removed-as-empty staves at the top of that system, so it looks like
> the 'clarified' code accidentally includes 1.01 staff-space per
> removed line.

Walking through the code and comparing its calculations with hand
calculations, I found the problems with the 'clarify' patch and noted
them at the Reitveld link above.

I do not have time to get a patch to the patch reviewed, and the
'clarify' patch was intended only to make the code easier to understand,
so I will revert that patch shortly.  The corrected patch can wait until
after the next stable release.