Re: Lilypond benchmarking

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Lilypond benchmarking
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 07:57:51 +0000 (UTC)

Phil Holmes <mail <at> philholmes.net> writes:

> [...]

The "space left" shown is after the lines have been laid out and
skylines drawn.  While choosing page-breaks (before line-breaking
has been done) LilyPond is conservatively using the extents, which
would have filled a bit more of the page.  (It also seems that
"space left" imagines we can overlap Copyright in the footer.)

The next system extent is (-44.70, 4.34) which is a height of 49.04,
Given that the first-page extents plus copyright line would leave an
estimated (at page-breaking time) space left somewhat less than 49
spaces, I see why LilyPond put the next system on the next page.

If I revert the 'clarify' patch,
 http://codereview.appspot.com/13768045
that extent goes down to (-44.70, 1.31)  There are three
removed-as-empty staves at the top of that system, so it looks like
the 'clarified' code accidentally includes 1.01 staff-space per
removed line.

I can't see the problem, so when I get time I'll step through the
code to find where things go different, and if I don't figure it
out before going out of town I'll just revert the 'clarify' patch.