Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 16:38:23 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>; "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>; "Julien Rioux" <address@hidden>; "LilyPond Developmet Team" <address@hidden>; "Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:30 PM

2013/9/22 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
IMHO this is solving a problem that doesn't exist. Using LilyDev (possibly
in a Virtual Machine) provides git and git-cl.  Git allows a developer to
create a patch with 2 commands: git commit and git format-patch. That can
be uploaded to Rietveld with a single command (possibly 2 commands,
depending on what you were doing earlier).  When the review is passed, it
can be pushed to staging with 4 simple commands; or mailed to -devel for any
active developer without push access - these are very rare.

How hard is that?

Hard.  It takes at least an hour (more probably 2 hours) to install
all this stuff and find and read relevant information (when i was
installing lilydev my first time, it took me half of the night).  And
don't forget additional 5 GB of space you need for the VM, and that
you have to use a completely new, unfamiliar environment (i.e. a new
OS).

Compare it to something like github (i'm not saying we should use
github, that's just an example) when it takes 2 minutes and you can do
everything in your browser (obviously, i'm speaking about small
patches).  To me, the difference is obvious.

Janek

Not comparing like with like. LilyDev provides a complete build environment; GitHub doesn't.

--
Phil Holmes