Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:14:04 +0200

Am 23.09.2013 02:55, schrieb Graham Percival:
On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 02:57:42PM +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 16.09.2013 12:50, schrieb David Kastrup:
So the question is what we should be telling the Savannah operators to
make working on GNU projects using Git more feasible.

What about asking them to provide Gerrit as  a service?
That's a possibility worth investigating.

- The core developers have the right to approve/reject proposals
  as well as pushing directly to the main repo
- Approval of a patch immediately merges it into the main code base.
I think you mean "push directly to staging".  We don't want *any*
patches going directly to master without checking that they still
compile.

I didn't elaborate on this because staging is by default integrated in the Gerrit workflow.
Its standard setup
http://gerrit-documentation.googlecode.com/svn/Documentation/2.7/intro-quick.html
is having two stages:

a) Code review
Reviewers rate a patch with -2 up to +2 while the +/-1 are opinions.
A suggested patch passes that stage with at least on +2 and _no_ -2

b) Verification
This is suggested to be done automatically through build-tests or whatever is appropriate for the project, or semiautomatically.
A patch that is 'verfied' will then be merged automatically from Gerrit to the main repository.

The process can be configured to require less or more tests. E.g. removing the verification from Gerrit because it is done somewhere else.

Urs

PS (regarding Graham's other mail): The intention of suggesting Gerrit is to keep development where it currently is but streamlining contribution, especially for non-members.