Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:14:11 +0800

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 01:12:21PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> (1) If you need to install a VM or a custom distro flavour to hack
> on a project, your design setup is very likely to be wrong.

Umm, the whole point of the VM is to ensure that the contributor's
setup is *right*.

> If you really, really need contributors to use certain custom
> packages, you're almost certainly better off making custom
> package repos for the minimal set of dependencies.

That's way more fragile than having them use a VM.

> (2) If your developers are working on maintaining a custom distro
> flavour, that's a maintenance burden that is very likely a
> distraction from useful work.

They're not actively working on it.  I think it gets updated about
once a year?

> (3) If your developers all converge around a particular install
> setup, then you are missing out on important usability information
> from other platforms,

GUB is different than compiling software.

> (5) In the specific case of git-cl, my own experience was that it
> was an absolute pain.  Multiple (custom) commands to be typed;

err, the whole point of the VM is that we provided a GUI to take
care of patch submission.

> Compare that with GitHub: push patches to my own repo.  Click on
> "Submit pull request."  Type a brief description and click a button
> ... done.

and then somebody else needs to check if it compiles or not.