Question about the make check tests

From: James
Subject: Question about the make check tests
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 20:43:04 +0000

Hello,

While trying to find the cause of a make check failure from one of the dev's patches yesterday - the usual struggle when you have multiple jobs running the tests and it is often hard to find which .ly file caused the failure - I started to notice a lot of programming errors being logged in the .log files from the make check.

Some of the reg tests showing these were nothing whatsoever (as far as I could tell) to do with the changed code.

After giving the reason for the make check failure up as a lost cause (where I just stated it failed a make check and nothing more), I went back today on a clean build and did a make test-baseline and then immediately a make-check (i.e. with no changes at all) and then went back to see what I could find.

Sure enough I still see these programming errors;

--snip--

address@hidden ~/lilypond-git/build/out/lybook-testdb (dev/local_working)$ grep -r -H "programming error" * | uniq -c 1 13/lily-63a0b7df.log:programming error: bounds of this piece aren't breakable. 1 15/lily-7dccbf09.log:programming error: number of pages is out of bounds 1 15/lily-7dccbf09.log:programming error: tried to space systems on a bad number of pages 1 15/lily-7dccbf09.log:programming error: number of pages is out of bounds 1 15/lily-7dccbf09.log:programming error: tried to space systems on a bad number of pages 1 15/lily-d8bfbd98.log:programming error: Grob `Glissando' has no interface for property `font' 1 27/lily-35d8ab5a.ly: produce three programming error messages. Note that, in tight 1 27/lily-35d8ab5a.texidoc: produce three programming error messages. Note that, in tight 1 27/lily-35d8ab5a.log:programming error: Cannot determine neighbors for floating column. 1 43/lily-8a48bcdb.log:programming error: cyclic dependency: calculation-in-progress encountered for #'X-extent (PaperColumn) 22 4b/lily-a6faa2f9.log:programming error: Grob `NoteColumn' has no interface for property `glissando-skip' 1 4f/lily-845ecea7.log:programming error: number of pages is out of bounds 1 4f/lily-845ecea7.log:programming error: tried to space systems on a bad number of pages 5 59/lily-2761c689.log:programming error: Improbable offset for stencil: inf staff space 1 5c/lily-fdcdb935.log:programming error: bounds of this piece aren't breakable. 1 7e/lily-6f8e1d56.log:programming error: vertical alignment called before line breaking
      1 a7/lily-291c544a.ly:%% to prevent warnings/programming errors:
1 a8/lily-6d4f5546.log:programming error: Don't know how to parenthesize spanners. 1 b4/lily-06a63450.ly:do not trigger programming errors for circular dependencies in direction. 1 b4/lily-06a63450.texidoc:do not trigger programming errors for circular dependencies in direction. 1 cf/lily-8cd09fd6.ly:This input should compile with no programming error message, 1 cf/lily-8cd09fd6.texidoc:This input should compile with no programming error message, 1 e0/lily-0c24f503.log:programming error: Grob `NoteColumn' has no interface for property `glissando-skip' 1 f4/lily-03c6e9c8.log:programming error: number of pages is out of bounds 1 f4/lily-03c6e9c8.log:programming error: tried to space systems on a bad number of pages 1 f4/lily-03c6e9c8.log:programming error: number of pages is out of bounds 1 f4/lily-03c6e9c8.log:programming error: tried to space systems on a bad number of pages

--snip--

There are about a dozen or so files failing.

So I then just took the lilypond binary compiled in the previous make and ran it against one of the ly files (just in case it made a difference) and I still get the same errors.

Is it worth pursuing?

It's not that hard for me to go through each of the .ly files above and find out which reg test it is.

But I wanted to check in case these sorts of errors would be expected in the make check phase.

James