Re: Ties within chords inconsistency

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ties within chords inconsistency
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 21:16:49 +0200

Joram <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I apologize already for entering a discussion I might not be able to
> follow due to a lack of knowledge. The in-chord out-of-chord difference
> makes sense to me.
>
> For me the question arises: what to expect from this syntax:
> \new Voice << { c''^~ c'' } { a'_~ a' } >> ?
> Two voices in the same voice?

How would LilyPond start new voices when it's already at bottom level?
When at bottom level, << >> without \\ is just a temporal rearrangement
tool.

> Does it form two subsequent chords?  With \new Staff instead of \new
> Voice it is clear and LilyPond also understands it and does not show
> the same warning.

I'd have expected a collision warning for
\new Staff << { c''^~ c'' } { a'_~ a' } >>
and it's more or less pure luck that the stems point in different
directions here because the notes are on different sides of the middle
line.  Also, two separately started implicit voices in the << >>
construct are not really the most intuitive thing I can imagine: I find
that behavior of << >> more like an obscure side effect of the overall
"start implicit contexts" business.