Re: Ties within chords inconsistency

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ties within chords inconsistency
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 23:52:20 +0200

Joram <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David,
>
>> Why wouldn't it be a chord?
>
> That's why I wrote »Or is it a real chord?«.
>
>> Articulations and ties not written _inside_ of a chord do not belong to
>> "single notes".  They belong to a moment in time.
>
> This was the missing piece for my understanding. I would have expected
> that an a and a c' are two single notes and if they are combined into a
> chord, they are inside it. But it without involving <...>, the
> attributes are not inside (and therefore outside) of the chord. I would
> call that counter-intuitive. It did never bother me though.

For LilyPond, < > is purely a music entry tool.  It uses it to decide
whether to attach articulations to particular notes or to a moment in
time.  A chord as a separate entity does not survive quoting music or
part combining and never reaches any engraver.  Only the separate notes
arrive at engravers, either with articulations attached (when the
articulations have been entered in-chord) or with articulations arriving
separately but at the same time step.

Whether you use << >> or < > to let notes arrive at the same time step
does not make a difference for LilyPond's further processing.